Created by an unknown programmer, used by drug dealers and stockpiled by the FBI. It’s bitcoin and here are 10 things you might not know about the world’s most famous digital currency.
10. Bitcoin was launched in 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto whose identity remains unknown. Said to have $400 million in the currency. Nakamoto has rarely been heard from since 2010.
9. Bitcoin is a digital currency ‘mined’ by computers solving algorithm. There is a finite supply, the last will be mined in 2140 when there’ll be 21 million Bitcoins in circulation.
8. One of the earliest Bitcoin transaction in 2010 saw 10,000 Bitcoins traded for 2 pizzas. Those pizza would now be worth over $4 million.
7. The computing power of the network that runs & mines Bitcoins grew by 30,000% in 2013. It is 256 times more powerful than the world’s top 500 supercomputers combined.
6. the FBI has the world’s single biggest Bitcoin wallet (account) with over 1,44,000 Bitcoins. Worth $60 million+ , they got it after closing Silk Road, the deep web marketplace.
5. There were unconfirmed reports of a police raid on a Bitcoin miner in 2011. The large amount of electricity used to mine was apparently mistaken of a marijuana farm.
4. Only 0.003% of the world (2,50,000 people) are estimated to hold at least 1 Bitcoin. According to a US survey only 24% of people know what Bitcoin is.
3. A 2014 heist saw hackers steal 6,50,000 Bitcoins worth $300 million. This is approximately 5% of all Bitcoins in existence.
2. There are general who stripe for Bitcoin on Reddit via the ‘GirlsGoneBitcoin’ sub forum. The service is anonymous & the girls rarely show their faces.
1. In 2013, James Howells accidentally threw away 7,500 Bitcoins – worth $7.5 million at the time. He went to the dump but failed to find the drive containing the data.