Thing your safe behind your computer screen? Well think again. Watch the clip to discover the people who’ve been arrested for tweeting, skyping, and facebooking with 10 Surprising Ways to Get Arrested Online.
10. A teenager was arrested for tweeting lyrics to a pink song en route to a concert. Security met him as he arrived at the venue after tweeting “I’m ready with my bomb”.
9. A teenager who posted photos of the view from an in-construction apartment block was arrested. The NYPD saw his Instagram account & charged him with trespassing & reckless endangerment.
8. A woman was arrested after posting photos of graffiti she found in the street on Instagram. Depicting a cop being shot, she was arrested for intimidation, despite not being the artist.
7. A US woman faced a $50K lawsuit after tweeting about her “moody apartment”. The company who owned her building filed for libel.
6. 2 tourists on vacation to LA were arrested for tweeting they were going to ‘destroy’ America. They were held by armed cops and questioned for 5 hours despite explaining that ‘destroy’ is UK slang for party.
5. Cheryl Nelson sent cruel message to herself from a fake Facebook account she’d created. Supposedly from her ex’s new partner, she was arrested after reporting the false posts to cops.
4. 2 Thai residents were arrested in 2009 after questioning the King’s health online. Another resident was sentenced to 10 years in jail after posting videos mocking the royal family.
3. A US man was arrested after an automated invite was sent from him to his ex-girlfriend inviting her to join Google+. The invite broke the terms of the restraining order she had against him.
2. In 2012 Ethiopia criminalized the use of Voice Over Internet Protocol. Using Skype within Ethiopia carries a 15 year jail sentence.
1. 7 Iranians were arrested for uploading a video of them dancing to Pharrell Willima’s ‘Happy’. They were sentenced to 6 months jail time & 91 lashes for posting a vulgar video.